About Payout Percentages


At any decent online casino today, the average payout rate (which is also often referred to as the return to player percentage rate or RTP %) is generally anywhere from 93.00% to 98.00%. This value is basically the amount in which players receive back in winnings over X amount of time and it based on the total amount of cash wagered at the casino in that period of time. The RTP % payout rate is often calculated for main game categories, for individual games and also for all of the games combined. This information is usually calculated and published on a monthly basis.

Two of the most well-known independent organisations that monitor online casinos and calculate their payout rates include TST (Technical Systems Testing) and eCOGRA (eCommerce and Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance). We don’t recommend playing in online casinos that regularly have a low RTP% rate (less than 93.00% for example). In some cases you will find that certain individual games had an average RTP % that was greater than 100.00%. In other words, the higher the RTP % rate is, the better it is for you as a player. However, it doesn’t always guarantee that you will win more as an individual player.

Let’s take a quick look at a couple of examples of how this works. An online slot machine that you enjoy playing on may have an average RTP % rate of 97.44% and let’s just say that players wagered a total of $1,000,000.00 in the month under review on that particular slot. This means that this slot paid back a total of $974,399.99 in winnings. The remaining 2.56% (or $25,600) ended up as profit for the casino. If the RTP% rate for the casino is 95.50% and players wagered a total of $20,000,000.00 in the casino, it means that the casino paid back, on average, $19,100,000.00 and the leftover $900,000 ended up as profit.

The payout information at an online casino is generally quite easy to find. For example sometimes when you launch an online slot machine you can find the payout information towards the back of the paytable. This information can also often be found on the homepage of an online casino. Clicking on the eCOGRA logo at most Microgaming casinos will also bring this information up for you and the player support should also be able to provide you with the latest payout information. If you can’t seem to find this information anywhere, or if the support is reluctant to divulge this information, perhaps you have found yourself a rogue casino which should be avoided at all costs.

This is why we only ever recommend playing in a fully licensed online casino which is monitored by a reputable online casino testing agency. All of our top-rated online casinos have relatively high monthly payout reports and they account for some of the best paying online casinos in the world. Visit our online casino review section to find out more about these top-paying online casinos that welcome players from around the world.